Thursday, January 29, 2009

second swedish essay

Not all language classes at BYU are hellishly hard. I'm not saying this one is an easy A, because it's not--but the fun factor makes it the highlight of my week. Here is my translation of our second essay assignment:

You have a friend who is on a mission in Sweden. You have dated, but have never seriously discussed your relationship. Suddenly, out of nowhere, he/she proposed to you in a letter. Write back to him/her explaining why you have to turn down his/her proposal.

Requirements:
-In the introduction, reminisce about two nice memories you have of time spent together.
-Explain three reasons why you cannot marry him/her.
-Write a poem to comfort him/her.
-Summarize your points and make sure he/she understands clearly how you feel.
-Compare your relationship to an aspect of Swedish history.

Grading: Equal weight is given to these 5 criteria
-adherence to requirements
-clarity and kindness of your message
-grammar
-creativity
-quality of poem

4 comments:

  1. "clarity and kindness of your message"

    Is this the best language assignment ever? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool assignment. I bet the hardest part of this for you is the "Turning him down"... I bet you will be wanting to accept anyway. =) But may I suggest that you use "gift" in both sense of the words? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why didn't I ever get assignments like this?
    I've been writing you an email, only it is turning into rather a long epistle, written in spurts as I can steal a few moments. I will have to send it soon finished or not...
    --Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome foreign language assignment!

    ReplyDelete