Saturday, January 3, 2009

93

I have been on 93 airplane flights in my life. I just got back from the last two--I slept during my 4.5 hour layover at JFK and slept on the second flight as well, so now I am wide awake in the cozy basement of my grandparents' house near SLC.

The other day I was wondering how much time I have spent in airports and airplanes. I threw out a guess of about a month and made a mental note to do some quick calculations later.

Now it is later.

In an old journal I have a detailed list of where most of these 93 flights began and ended, and I could use that information to determine approximate flight lengths and average those to reach a more precise estimation, but that would take tons of time, so instead I abandoned accuracy and just chose conservative numbers.

I've been on many long international flights, but I've also been on a lot of shorter flights within the USA and between European countries. To be safe, I estimate an average flight length of 5 hours and average time spent in the airport for each of those flights at 3 hours.

5+3=8

8*93=744

744/24=31

31 days=as long as months get.

Seems I've spent at least a month of my life in airports and airplanes.

Totally cool.

I have a goal to reach 100 flights before turning 20.

1 comment:

  1. You should be able to reach 100 flights in the next year. if you come this summer and next christmas, that's a minimum of 8 flights already. =)

    ReplyDelete