Tuesday, March 17, 2009

yellow roses

IMG_1606 - Copy

Daily when I see these flowers (petals crisply dry now but still vibrant) I think of recent kindnesses and smile. The yellow roses remind me to appreciate my family and friends and all the encouragement they offer. This week some kindness have taken me by surprise.

I got asked out on a date last week for the first time ever. It was flattering and fun to feel what it's like to be the asked and not the asker, and the date was as perfect a first date as anyone could ask for: comfortable, interesting, friendship-building fun.  We went to the MOA and discussed the art, focusing especially on works by Walter Wick (I SPY, etc) and religious art. It feels delightful to have been noticed and invited for a one-on-one activity.

Even less predictable was an incident today which I am hoping will begin a friendship: before Pen and the Sword I spent a half-hour in the honors lounge with two classmates and my favorite TA, eating chocolate and talking casually. Across the room I noticed a girl who seemed to be listening to our conversation, but assumed that she was probably just annoyed at us for being loud. However, as we stood to go to class, she walked over and introduced herself to me, explaining that while listening to me she had been thinking that I seem like someone she could be really good friends with. She then asked for my cell number--I wish I'd thought to get hers too, but I didn't. I smiled and told her that she'd made my day (no joke!) and then walked merrily to class. It surprises me that anyone would want to be my friend when their introduction to me was the sort of conversation that she heard; it was very Catherine and most people find that somewhat shocking.

So those are my stories for the day. More things to do tomorrow, and hopefully some will to do them. My mood is getting better and I can only hope my energy and focus improve with it--and hope my new friend calls.

2 comments:

  1. I think that cool people will find Catherine pretty cool. =) It's good to hear you are finding cool people around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how small kindnesses can remind us of the Lord's great love for us. I had an experience last night where someone whom I'd never met before, and will never see again, went out of his way in a very small way to acknowledge me, and it felt like a reminder of the Lord's awareness of much larger (and as yet unresolved) concerns that have been on my mind recently.

    I hope you keep seeing things to smile about!

    ReplyDelete