Friday, April 10, 2009

a call to conscience: seeking wisdom out of the best books

I've been having a faith crisis of sorts lately, and have spent many hours seeking greater understanding of the things I believe to be true. In addition to the obvious gospel sources, I have spent a lot of time with the writings of Martin Luther King, Jr. I think I've found myself a hero:

What is needed is a realization that power without love is reckless and abusive, and that love without power is sentimental and anemic. Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice, and justice at its best it love correcting everything that stands against love.

Let us be dissatisfied until that day when nobody will shout "White Power!" when nobody will shout "Black Power!" but everybody will talk about God's power and human power.

 

We must not become bitter… No, we must not lose faith in our white brothers. Somehow we must believe that the most misguided among them can learn to respect the dignity and worth of all human personality.

 

Our aim must never be to defeat or humiliate the white man… We must act in such a way as to make possible a coming together of white people and colored people…based on mutual respect.

I'm concerned about a better world. I'm concerned about justice; I'm concerned about brotherhood; I'm concerned about truth. And when one is concerned about that, he can never advocate violence. For through violence you may murder a murderer, but you can't murder murder. Through violence you may murder a liar, but you can't establish truth. Through violence you may murder a hater, but you can't murder hate through violence. Darkness cannot put out darkness; only light can do that.

(all quotes taken from A Call to Conscience)

King strikes me as being a kind of prophet. I am amazed by the truth, clarity, and love expressed in his speeches. While fighting my own battles in pursuit of justice and improvement, I try to remember that, as King so wisely taught, "Love is ultimately the only answer to mankind's problems."

2 comments:

  1. Love is the answer. We must not become bitter, but rather havens of sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent quotes. I agree that Martin Luther King, Jr. was an inspired man that did much good for the world and continues to do so. I think he did a lot to help the church as well and prepare the way for the priesthood to be available to everyone - as he helped prepare the world to accept it. An excellent person to have as a hero - and some good lessons for us to remember in dealing with the world around us.

    ReplyDelete